Tuesday, April 3, 2012

my sweetest mom.

this past weekend is a trip we will not soon forget.

some moments that i feel will forever be ingrained in my memory:
- Dad approaching us late Thursday night "let's chat for a bit" as he walked into his office.
- "we have really good tickets to conference on saturday afternoon." with a pause to confirm that our suspicions from the past month were coming true.
- sister calls saturday morning working out our carpooling and laughing with katie on the back porch pretending like we really were having a relaxing morning sitting in the sun
- hunger games jokes on our way to conference center with katie and iuri
- arriving right as conference was getting out and taking a quick drive around the capitol to see the pretty pretty blossoms and a stroll through city creek.
- "you have really good seats"
- "great seats and your own special row!"
- MTC choir warming up and the first feeling of peace sweeps over me assuring me the Lord is watching over my mom.
- Mom and Dad entering the conference center and we all immediately rushed over to hug and comfort.
- first presidency entering the conference center and President Uchtdorf winks and points at Mom.
- longest. sustaining. ever. lots of hand squeezes from tanner.
- "Linda Kjar Burton as president"
- watching Mom look to her counselors (sitting on the same row as her, we didn't know who they were until then) and summon them to join her as they were asked to take their place on the stand
- Sister Beck and her counselors all rushing over to my mom to hug her followed by a line of general authorities to wish her well
- another confirmation as we watched so many people greet her with love and open arms that the Lord is aware of her and this call came directly from Him
- walking through the tunnel with the whole family, each of us wanting to be right next to Mom the whole way
- gathering as a family at the end of the night as the siblings presented her with a minerva teichert painting of esther.
- my Dad's words of counsel and comfort and coming together once more as we face the next five years with anticipation and faith.

this post might sound pretty dramatic..with all of the emotions flying left and right but it was just such a huge event for our family, especially with knowing that what was about to happen was going to change my Mom's life and ours in a way we never expected. almost. we did know my Mom was just too good to keep to ourselves but that still didn't quite prepare us emotionally for this new calling. (obviously :-) )

my Mom is truly one of the most beautiful people i know on the inside and out. she is made of pure gold and i have always looked to her as a perfect example of constant service, love to everyone, and complete devotion to the Church and her testimony. i am so very very grateful to be her daughter. this calling will bring huge changes to our family but i know that through the prayers of the church members around the world, we will be able to support my mom the way she needs us to and witness miracles over the next five years. there is no one more capable of leading the women of this church than my angel mother.

and as a note to those that read this, thank you thank you thank you for your love, support and prayers. we love you all xoxo

images from news articles on ksl and the sltrib sites

20 comments:

The Winkels said...

Love this. Perfectly sums it all up! Miss you already!

Meggara said...

did i tear up? yes. am i obsessed with all those pictures? yes. am i thrilled that sister holland loves your mom as much as i/you/everyone do/does? yes. is this post dramatic? no. do i want to frame that picture of your mom hugging julie b.? yes.

St. George's Medical School said...

Oh how I love love love this!!!! I'm so happy for your mom and family, what an amazing experience! I can't wait to hear her talks and see her beautiful face during the conferences to come! Miss you Brynne we need to catch up and hang out soon! Hope you and Tanner are doing great!

Maddi said...

Now that your mother is the relief society president and pretty much the most special woman in all of the world I better start doing my visiting teaching! Jk but I still think it is the coolest thing! No wonder you're so freaking awesome, look who your mom is! I love you sista friend, and your family is in my prayers :)

jessica said...

Omg, I am relieved that I DID do my visiting teaching this month so we can still be friends. Jk, Jk.

I feel like I know your mom because of all the times you and Annie have written about her. I am so grateful she is heading up the RS. Hope you all will be showered with help and blessings while she serves. Im sure that will be the case. X to the O.

Mindy said...

Not dramatic at all. You've had a TON of emotions to process! It's kind of big stuff, you know. I loved reading your perspective of the weekend. I bet it was the longest sustaining ever. ;)

Be assured of our love and prayers for your sweet mom and dad and your family. You're champs to share Lin with the world.

Love from TX,
Mindy

Kalie DeMann said...

I'm with Meg, I totally teared up. I don't know your mother, but I know you and I know Annie, and that speaks volumes of how AMAZING she must be. I'm so excited to be taught by her. You are so lucky to have an awesome family.

Laura said...

Ope. I am just now connecting this. Wow! How exciting for your familia :). Go Mama Burton!

Hailey Jones said...

i just am so glad you were there. so glad.

Amanda said...

so happy you were there! sweetest family. "made of pure gold" such an adorable way of putting it and so true. love those pictures. beautifully written.

i just had a lot of thoughts about this but couldn't put them into full sentences. love you and love your whole fam!

Annie said...

I want to cut and paste this. Perfect summary. Love you.

Todd and Melissa said...

Perfect post. Perfect family. Your mom will be AMAZING. It is hard having to share your parents sometimes (although you already knew that) but makes you feel so grateful that you were able to be raised by such amazing people!

Natalie N said...

I totally heard your dad's deep yet soft voice as I read, "we have REALLY good tickets to conference on Saturday afternoon..."
LOVED reading your thoughts on all that transpired. Sounds like an incredible day of many memories. Thanks for sharing your thoughts!!
xoxoxo

Alexandra said...

i am so happy for your family. your mom is so amazing and has always been such a good 'second mom' to me and my sisters during YW. i am so excited to see how the next few years go for you guys. you are all such amaing people. :)

Alexandra said...

rats. that would happen. amazing* !

Sam said...

I loved this post! Your mom is one special lady. She even has a wikipedia article! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linda_K._Burton

Kelly Jean said...

Ahhh! Brynne! Wow! That is SO huge & such a special deal for her & your entire family. I kept looking at Nick and saying, "Wait - that's BRYNNE'S MOM!"

"Many are called, but few are chosen." - goes to show what an excellent person she is {which is clearly evident in you & the rest of your sibs}. I'm looking forward to next Conference even more now :) Prayers to you, your mom, & the entire fam!! XO!!!

Laurie Marsh said...

Cutest Brynnie in all the world. Thanks for this beautiful post. It is easy to see the Lord's hand in your family's lives. The Relief Society is in great hands with your mother, not surprised by this call....at alll! Love you Burtons!

Lauren@ "Happiness is..." said...

YOur mother is an angel. I've always felt blessed that I got to have her in my life as an amazing Relief Society leader. I remember being so sad when I moved to New Jersey because she wouldn't be around. I said to Steve as they released Sister Beck- "Oh I'm so sad." and he said, it's okay they will call someone just as wonderful- and he was right- and I wasn't sad one bit but bursting with excitement and JOY! Oh she will be wonderful, no more than wonderful! You have such a special and sweet family. Love you all!

cbo said...

Hi Brynne. Thanks for sharing all of this! I wondered when you all found out about your sweet mom's new calling! Thank you for being so willing to share your mom with all of us for awhile. It will be so great to learn from her!